Sunday, April 12, 2020

Ossie goes for a walk


Ossie goes for a walk

Do you remember the Ossie song? Let’s sing it again:

Ossie the ostrich, Ossie the ostrich, Ossie the ostrich, went for a walk,
Ossie the ostrich, Ossie the ostrich, Ossie the ostrich, went for a walk.
Oh Oh Oh OH OH Oh Oh Where did he go?
Oh Oh Oh OH OH Oh Oh Where did he go?
Ossie the ostrich went for a walk, went for a, went for a, went for a walk.
Ossie the ostrich went for a walk, went for a, went for a, went for a walk.
(N.B. You can recite it to the accompaniment of a drum or banging on the table.)
***

Here's the story:


In Ostrich Park,  it was warm and the sun was shining, but Ossie wanted to go for a walk, so he left the park all by himself and walked down the hill. He did not know where he was going, and soon he could not remember where he had come from.
“I’m lost,” he said, and walked on and on and on down the hill.
“Where are you going?” said someone.
“I’m going for a walk,” said Ossie.
Someone came around a corner. It was Ellie the Elephant.
“I’m going for a walk, too,” said Ellie. “We can walk together.”
“Where to?” said Ossie.
“We could go back to the zoo,” said Ellie. “That’s where I came from.”
“I don’t want go to the zoo,” said Ossie. “They’d put me in a cage. That would be worse than Ostrich Park.”
“I agree, “ said Ellie. “Where is Ostrich Park?”
“Over there. Up the hill,” said Ossie.
“I don’t like hills,” said Ellie.
“Where is the zoo?” Ossie asked.
“Round the corner,” said Ellie.
“If we don’t go up the hill and don’t go round the corner, we will have to go to that little house over there,” said Ossie.
“It’s a long way,” said Ellie.
“You have big feet so you can go a long way, Ellie,” said Ossie.
“I’ll try,” said Ellie.
Along the way they met a donkey.
“Where are you going,” said the donkey.
“To the little house. Who are you?” said Ossie.
“I’m Donny the donkey and this is my road,” said Donny.
“No, it isn’t,” said Ellie.
“No, it isn’t,” said Ossie.
“If I come with you, you can stay on my road,” said Donny.
That was a good offer, so they set off, singing Ossie’s song.
***
Soon they reached the little house.
“I’m hungry,” said Ellie.
“So am I,” said Donny.
“So am I,. said Ossie. “And I’m thirsty.”
“We are, too,” said Ellie.
“Let’s knock on the door and ask for some food,” said Ossie.
“We could also ask for water to drink,” said Donny.
“I agree,” said Ellie.
She went to the door of the little house and knocked loudly with her trunk.
Very soon a man came to the door.
“Is this a shop?” Ellie asked.
“We’re closed,” he said.
Who are you,” said Ossie.
“I’m Mr Jones,” the man said.
“We are hungry,” Ossie, Ellie and Donny said together.
“What do you want to eat?” Mr Jones asked.
“I eat leaves,” said Ellie.
“I eat grass,” said Donny.
“I eat worms,” said Ossie.
“I’m sorry, but I don’t sell leaves, grass or worms. You’ll have to go to the farm down the road. They might have leaves, grass and worms. You can drink water from the fountain over there,” he said.
The three friends got very wet drinking from the fountain.
When they had finished drinking they walked to the farm.
I’ll tell you about that next time.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment